What is Pizza Napoletana?
Naples, Italy is the birthplace of pizza. Napoletana Pizza is based on the use of simple ingredients, type "00" flour, San Marzano tomatoes, fresh yeast, mozzarella, herbs, and purified water. The oven must be wood fired and constructed in a bell shape. The pizzas must be cooked at a blistering 900 Degrees. All Pizaro's pizzas are cooked in strict accordance to the VPN standards as outlined below.
- Type "00" Italian flour – this whole wheat, low gluten silky four produces a soft flavorful and fragrant tasting crust.
- San Marzano tomatoes – these tomatoes are grown in the rich volcanic soil at the base of Mt. Vesuvius. These tomatoes are naturally sweet which allows them to caramelize in blistering heat of the brick oven.
- Sea Salt.
- Fresh Mozzarella – 100% whole mike "Fior di Latte" is used. This cheese has a rich, silky and creamy texture.
- Fresh Herbs – local grown fresh herb adorn each pizza.
Type "00" Italian flour is mixed with water, salt and fresh yeast. It is allowed to ferment and is then hand cut and rolled into dough balls. The dough balls are hand stretched by the Pizzaiuolo and then put into the wood fired ovens.
Our brick oven was made in Naples, Italy and shipped to the United States. The oven is made of brick and mortar using volcanic sand from Mt. Vesuvius and contains a "biscotto" baking stone floor. The oven is covered with black and white marble. This oven will maintain a baking temperature in excess of 900 degrees.
Each Napoletano pizza is unique as the pizza is hand stretched and cooked in a wood fired brick oven at 900 degrees for 90 seconds. This creates a pizza with:
- Soft cornicione (outer crust) with patina of crunch.
- Center of pizza is very thin and is soft/wet.
- Approximately 12" in diameter.
- Unique – may not be perfectly round as each pie is an artisan's work of art.
Neapolitans traditionally eat their pizza uncut with a knife and fork or "libretto style" – means folded like a book. Either way we hope you enjoy yours.
In Naples the maker of the pies is called a Pizzaiuolo. These highly skilled artisans are extremely passionate about the quality of the pizza's they cook. Their sole focus is to produce the best pizza. Total concentration is required when you cook a pizza in 90 seconds at 900 degrees.